I guess I’m going to have to eat a little crow.
I was for sure there was no way that I could find (or if I did, enjoy) any lighter (i.e. diet) meals to cook at home.
I’m a southern cook – I like butter and lots of bread. Both preferably fried.
But no need to fret because this leopard has not changed its spots. I have just expanded my horizons a bit and I’m so glad I did because I really needed to start working on this baby weight but cooking is my joy and I was afraid I would be bound to lettuce and grilled chicken forever.
Here is one of my new finds.
Greek Stuffed Chicken with Mango Sauce
(adapted from The Chew)
- 10 oz feta cheese
- 1 cup packed spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (the kind in the jar)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Greek seasoning
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1 large or 2 small mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried onion
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 1/2 Jalapeno pepper with ribs and seeds removed, minced
Preheat oven to 375º.
In a medium bowl, mix feta, spinach, parsley, garlic, olive oil and pepper.
Divide mixture between the 4 chicken breasts. Fold over, season with greek seasoning.
Place in greased pan.
Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through.
Meanwhile, bring all sauce ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Serve over chicken.