Believe me – I’m not a health nut.
I would love to be but I cannot even pretend to be.
I know lately all I seem to be posting are lighter, healthier meals but let’s be honest, I’m not trying to be health conscious – I still have baby weight to lose!! 🙂
So one of the “healthy” things I now incorporate with my meals is using whole wheat pasta. This is because I need to not because I want to. I still vastly prefer the regular but what can you do?
I will tell you! You make a fabulous sauce that masks any taste you are not particularly found of in the whole wheat pasta.
Here’s an example.
Chicken and Penne Pasta with Lemon-Shallot Vinaigrette
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
Stir together lemon juice and minced shallot; let stand 5 minutes. Whisk in olive oil, parsley, honey, and mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week.
For the Pasta:
- 2 – 3 pan grilled chicken breasts or 2-3 cups rotisserie chicken (can be served whole or chopped, shredded)
- 1 (16-oz.) package whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 (8-oz.) package thin green beans, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pt. grape tomatoes, halved
- 1.5 cup Lemon-Shallot Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Feta cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions, adding green beans to boiling water during last 6 minutes of cooking time; drain. Rinse pasta mixture under cold running water until cool; drain. Toss together chicken, pasta mixture, tomatoes, and vinaigrette. Just before serving, stir in dill, and add salt/pepper and feta to taste.